Pursuing Life Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memorizing the Entire New Testament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PursuingLife.com Forum Index -> General Bible Memory Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavern
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Memorizing the Entire New Testament Reply with quote

Have you heard of anyone who has memorized the entire New Testament? Maybe you have done it yourself. If so, let me know.

It would be great to get in touch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten P's in a Pod : A Million-Mile Journal of the Arnold Pent Family, by Arnold Pent III, is the story of a wonderful family of eight children and their parents who traveled all over the country in evangelistic work. The father believed that reading and hearing the Bible was the most important part of a child's education. The family members read large portions of Scripture daily, then they all read together after meals for a half hour at a time. By the time the kids were in their teens they could recite the New Testament from memory and often did so in front of large crowds. Part of their ministry was to encourage families to read the Bible together daily, and they lived what they preached.
Lavern
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Cindy! It's good to have you here!

I'm glad you mentioned Ten P's in a Pod. I am reading that book myself. It surely is a great inspiration and encouragement to me of walking by faith and treasuring the Scriptures!
Yuriy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: memorizing entire New Testament Reply with quote

We had a blind man living in our home until he found himself (and his wife) a place to live, and I got to spend quite a bit of time with him. He knew the whole New Testament and many books of the Old Testament by memory, including Genesis, Isaiah, and a few others.
Some explosive he found at age 15 blew out his eyes (and right arm) but apparantly it didn't hinder his memorization. He used to preach, quiting scriptures word for word (I would test him just out of curiosity).

When I asked him "how did you memorize it all?" He said, "one verse at a time"
I thought he was joking... now, 15 years later, I know he was not.
Today he's in heaven, but his legacy remains here as example for me.
Teens would often play bible trivia and when no one knew where something is written, they ask "Uncle Grisha! Where does it say..." (In Russia, we call all older men 'uncle') and he'd joke saying "You're asking a blind man where a verse in the Bible is located? Look it up!"
Yuriy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: anybody read "The Heavenly Man"? Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I think that brother Yun from "The Heavenly Man" has also memorized the whole New Testament. Increadible achievment! There can be no better way to strengthen your faith.
Brother Yun (as others in China called him) used to memorize 1 chapter at a time because Bibles were not legal and that was the only way he could meditate on God's word: memorize in evening, think over it daytime.
yuriy
Lavern
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Yuriy,

Welcome to the Pursuing Life forums!

Thank you for sharing those examples. It's really encouraging to hear of others who have memorized the entire New Testament or even just large portions of the Bible.

Are you memorizing any Scripture yourself?

May God bless you!

Lavern
LukeWilson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a Baptist minister named David Miller that has the whole Bible memorized. I have heard him preach numerous times, he has a disease where he is in a wheelchair, and he has said that his disease is the only way that he could have ever memorized like he did.
Psalm78:72

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: New Testament Reply with quote

Former NBA and Ohio State star Jerry Lucas has memorized the entire New Testament. He is an expert on memory and has written several books, does demonstrations and has a consultancy business. I saw one of his demos at a church in Southern Ohio about 4 years ago.
Krogg777

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Memorizing the New Testament Reply with quote

I am current going through the 5 year program of memorizing the N.T.

I would like to share how I memorize in the hopes that it will encourage others to memorize afresh. I would love to be in contact with others that are memorizing for accountability and encouragement.

Since I am a visual learner, I use the same Bible each time I memorize. I use the scofield bible because if I use my pocket sized bible (small font) or my large wide margin, the verses are placed on the exact same spot on the page. To me this is key.

I begin the memorization week on Sunday with reading the chapter as many times as possible (not trying to memorize it, but to get VERY familiar with it. Monday-Friday is when I memorize and Saturday review.

I memorize the chapter perfectly. Knowing where comma's, periods are. I also recite the chapter backwards from last verse to start so that I have each individual verse memorized. Therefore if someone says Hebrews 2:14. Immediately I can begin quoting that verse.

Of course the majority of the time is review, don't look on this as boring, but meditating on the Scriptures.

There are so many different things I've learned on the way in order to make it more efficient, but one thing I will share since we are in 2012 and there are many technologies we can use.

I have an iPhone. I take a picture of the page of my Bible I'm
Memorizing and then the particular passage I'm memorizing I will zoom in and add it to my lock screen and background.
How many times do you look at your phone in a day? Do you get so busy that you forget to memorize? This will help you a lot.

Again, I would love to hear from those desiring to hide God's Word in their heart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PursuingLife.com Forum Index -> General Bible Memory Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: