Pursuing Life Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Praise Medley
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PursuingLife.com Forum Index -> General Bible Memory Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Checking in Reply with quote

Hello, all,
How's it going? I'm doing fine.
Just wanted you to know I am working on my assignment, though it's obviously not done yet, or I would post my completed list.
Anyway, something I find interesting is that almost any time the psalmist is talking about God or to God it seems like praise, because of who God is. Nonetheless, I'm not including all of these passages, not every single one of them. I'm trying to go for the ones that are really praise specific or at least something I myself would say for worshippping God.
Hope you all are doing well.
God bless.
RustyJam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Meg,
I've been hammered on all fronts! Must be doing something right! Service was awesome tonight! Anyway, I wanted to write a program that would process a list of references and pull the scriptures and export to a text file... I couldn't legally install a seat of Visual Basic 6 at home, so I bought a seat of Realbasic (kind of goofy, but not all bad), just so I could code this thing. Long story short, I'm moving slowly because I'm having to learn the way that Realbasic works. But I have got some translations converted, and have most of the code written.. just takes time. We have an ERP upgrade tomorrow, so I will be busy for a few days after that etc. Spring has hit, and with 8 acres me and the wife have some must do's outside. Blah Blah Blah, just saying I'm not sleeping on the project either just being pulled in lot's of directions. Hopefully when the work is done it will enable me/others to pull scriptures automatically from a text file list and export them to another text file which can be posted/printed etc....

May God bless you all!
Rusty
Meg

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: stayin' alive Reply with quote

Hello! I am here!
I will tell you now- I have not finished my assignment.
I will start posting my list that I have already in the beginning of next week. My last final for college is Saturday. Then, I will get this done.
I am determined to do it.
By the way- nest to the reference for a praise passage, I will be posting a general topic of what the passage is about or says. IE "praise to God for His faithfulness" or "praise to God for His creation" or something like that- maybe even more abbreviated. That may help when we are pulling from the final lists for our own medleys.
Sorry for my absence, but I am back!
How are you all doing?
RustyJam

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: back at it Reply with quote

Sorry for my absence as well.
I have this problem of trying to do too much and then getting nothing done. During the midst of it Satan uses family and "friends" to come against me and mine. Pitiful creature... so full of hate. But!, ..."we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to {His} purpose". - Rom 8:28 NASB
Hey, I'm not done with what I started either. Just when I thought I had went over all the "songs" (not counting Psalms) of the Bible I found some more passages. I was trying to find out what Rev. 15:3-4 was referring to (I thought it referred to Exodus 15...wrong). Then I find all this awesome stuff in Deut 32...
It doesn't seem like the songs are useful (as a praise medley) in their entirety, but they have many strong praise passages. I will list these ref's (where the songs are) and then give a list of the scriptures I think are useful soon as I can. Hope everyone is well.

May God richly bless you all,

Rusty
RustyJam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Songs in the Bible Reply with quote

Okay here's a list of songs from the Bible. It is difficult to decide on certain ones as some passages are praise-like but not in the form of a song. Still others are in the form of a song but not very usable for praise.
Some are just one line, I think at least one is referred to as a chorus etc.
The list is not perfect but If I don't get something posted having do with a medley of praise I will go nuts! Lavern and anyone else who would like to clip this list and post it elsewhere has my complete permission. Also, if anyone would like to suggest and/or fix any errors or omissions that would be a good thing. At the moment I posted this it became everyones list.
I will, when I get a chance, go through it and pull out specific references that I would like to be part of a medley. Anyone who might go through the list and look at the scriptures would do well to notice the general context of the surrounding text and get a feel for what setting the song took place. For instance the first one (Exodus 15:1-18) takes place right after God delivers the Hebrew people from bondage. This is a foreshadowing of the deliverance of the entire human race from the bondage of our sin, and this text is the response of Moses (mankind) to God. Anyway, let me not make a buffoon out of myself by trying to teach/preach. May these passages bless you and help to draw you closer The Great Deliverer!!!

Exodus 15:1-18 - Moses's song after Red Sea Deliverance

Exodus 15:21 - Miriam's song after Red Sea Deliverance

Numb 21:17-18 - Song at the well

Deut 32:1-43 - Moses's song before he died

Judges 5:2-31 - Deborah and Barak's Victory Song (Canaanites Victory)

1 Samuel 2:1-10 - Hannah's Song of Praise

2 Samuel 1:19-27 - David's Lament after the death of Saul and Jonathan

2 Samuel 22:2-51 (Psalm 18) - David's after being delivered from Saul

1 Chron 16:8-36 - David's song when the ark is brought to Jerusalem

2 Chron 5:13 - The chorus when the ark of the covenant is brought into the temple

2 Chron 20:21 - A song before the army

Ezra 3:11 - The foundation of the second temple laid

Psalms (All of them) - If I had to pick one book from the bible...

Song of Solomon - Basically the entire book is a song - although mainly about the love between man and woman

Isa:26:1-6 - Isaiah's song about God's protection

Isa:27:2-5 - The Vineyard

Isaiah 38:10-20 - Hezekiah's song/writing of Praise

Jer:31:7 - Save your people

Luke 1:46-55 - Mary's praise

Luke 1:68-79 - Zacharias - song

Luke 2:14 - The Angels' song

Luke 2:29-32 - Simeon - song?

Revelation 5:9-10,12-14 - Praise to the Lamb of God

Rev 7:10,12 - Praise from the multitudes

Rev 11:15,17-18 - Thanks to God for taking the power and beginning the reign

Revelation 15:3-4 - The song of Moses and the song of the Lamb

Rev 19:1-7 - The four Hallelujahs

In the Precious Name of Jesus,
Rusty
Meg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: The Beginning of my Psalm List Reply with quote

Hello! Here I am. Here's what I've got right now.

All of the following are from the Psalms:

79:13 - promise to give thanks perpetually

81:1-2 - call to praise in song and w/instruments

84:1-2 - declares loveliness of God's dwelling place & longing to be w/Him

84:10 - "For a day in Your courts..."

86:8-10 - the Lord incomparable

86:11-13 - "Unite my heart to fear Your name..."

89:1-2 - promise to praise God perpetually

89:5-18 - God incomparable, powerful Creator

90:1-2 - God eternal

92:1-4 - goodness of praising God

93:1-5 - God majestic, eternal, holy

94:17-18 - The Lord our help & comfort

95:1-7 - Call to joyous worship; God the sovereign Creator & Shepheard

96:1-13 (entire chapter) - beautiful call to worship; God Savior, wonderful, supreme, creator, worthy, beautiful, holy, fearsome

97 (entire chapter)
vs 1 - call to worship
2-6 - praise to the Lord for creation
7-9 - the Lord above all gods
10-12 - salvation and joy in the Lord; call to rejoice

98 (entire chapter of 9 verses)

99 (entire chapter of 9 verses)

100 (entire chapter of 5 verses)

101:1

103:1-5 - telling self to praise the Lord

103:6-18 - praise to God for His forgiveness, mercy & favor

103:20-22 - call to angels to praise God

104 (entire chapter) - praise to god for His creation

105:1-5 - call to praise and remember the Lord (rest of chapter recounts God's work on behalf of Israel)

That's it for now! God help us to stick to this. Even though we all (probably) originally intended to do this project quicker, it is certainly better to complete it late than never. Completion is a good thing. "The end of a matter is better than the beginning" -from Ecclesiatstes somewhere.

Take heart, people! Lets finish this!
RustyJam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: praise references from the song list Reply with quote

Hello all!
These verses are all pulled from the previous list of song verses that I posted. They typically can be categorized as one of three different types:

1) Verses that don't seem to be praise but contain section(s) that
can be easily used in praise.

2) Verses that contain praise but also contain non-praise section(s).

3) Verses that are completely praise oriented

It's up to everyone's personal taste on how to incorporate the verses... Some may memorize the verse then adapt/personalize it while worshiping, others may want to memorized personalized versions (realizing they are not scripture proper) etc.

I recently purchased "Libronix ebible" and there is a feature that enables you to pull bible ref's from a web page. It also works when you point it to a file that has a list of bible references (an undocumented feature as far as I can tell). It will pull all the verses in the list from whatever translation you have current. It doesn't seem to like commas though, this is why I have "Exodus 15:2" and "Exodus 15:6" instead of "Exodus 15:2,6" etc.

Once again, it adds to the meaning of the verse if we look at the surrounding context... nuff said.

May the reader be blessed and draw closer to the Rock of our salvation!

Rusty

=========================

Exodus 15:2
Exodus 15:6
Exodus 15:7
Exodus 15:11
Exodus 15:13
Exodus 15:16-18

Deuteronomy 32:4
Deuteronomy 32:11-12
Deuteronomy 32:39-41
Deuteronomy 32:43

Judges 5:2
Judges 5:4-5

1 Samuel 2:2-3
1 Samuel 2:6-10

2 Samuel 22:2-4
2 Samuel 22:10-20
2 Samuel 22:29-37
2 Samuel 22:40
2 Samuel 22:44
2 Samuel 22:47-51

1 Chronicles 16:10
1 Chronicles 16:12
1 Chronicles 16:14
1 Chronicles 16:25-29
1 Chronicles 16:31-34
1 Chronicles 16:36

2 Chronicles 20:21

Isaiah 26:3-4
Isaiah 38:17
Isaiah 38:19

Luke 1:46-47
Luke 1:49-54
Luke 1:68-69
Luke 2:14
Luke 2:32

Revelation 5:9-10
Revelation 5:12-14
Revelation 7:10
Revelation 7:12
Revelation 11:15
Revelation 11:17-18
Revelation 15:3-4
Revelation 19:1-2
Revelation 19:6
Meg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: More from Psalms Reply with quote

Hello,
I am sitting here at the computer with my Bible and will post what I can, taking up where I left off with my last list, Psalm 106.

Psalm 106:1-2 -Call to worship (rest of chapter recounts Israel's backslidings and God's faithfulness)

Psalm 107:1-3 - Praise for God's mercy and redemption
vs 8- 9 - God's goodness and kindness, esp in spiritual provision
vs 15-16 - God is liberator!
vs 21-22 - call to give thanks (comes after description of how we, as fools, get ourselves in trouble but God rescues us when we turn to Him)
vs 23-43 (rest of chapter) - praises God's sovereignty over and involvement in creation and the affairs of men

Psalm 108 (entire chapter of 13 verses) - praises God boisterously for his mercy, salvation and help. Begins with an interesting call to instrumental praise.

Psalm 109:30 & 31 - Praise to God because He defends the poor

Psalm 111 (entire chapter of 10 verses) - praise to God, especially for His righteousness and holiness

Psalm 113 (entire chapter of 9 verses) - Praise, especially for the name of the Lord and for God's condescension to be involved in and caring for His creation

Psalm 115 (entire chapter of 18 verses) - Praise to God, especially as a living God versus dead idols, and for His blessing and protection on His people

Psalm 116 (entire chapter of 19 verses) - Praise to God for hearing prayer, and for deliverance

Psalm 117 (entire chapter of only 2 verses) - Call for Gentiles to praise God (interesting) for His mercy and truth

Psalm 118 (entire chapter of 29 verses) - Praise to God for His goodness and mercy, delicerance, and trusworthiness

That's it for right now. I know Psalm 119 is full of a lot of praise for God's word, etc. I'm going to read through it and write down verses that specifically say "praise" or "rejoice" or something like that and that's what will be posted next.
Thanks.
Meg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: More Psalms Reply with quote

I can't believe it's taken me this long to do this small amount of work. It's kind of shameful. Anyway, can't get stuck on that. Here's the goods-

Psalm 119:14 - rejoicing in God's word/the righteous way
vs 72 - praise for God's law
vs 89-91 - praise for the steadfastness of God's Word & God's establishment of His creation through it
vs 108 - asks for God's acceptance of praise
vs 111 - God's Word a heritage to rejoice in
vs 171 - vow to praise

Psalm 124:6-8 - Praise to God, Creator, for deliverance from enemies

Psalm 132:7 - Beautiful call to worship

Psalm 134 (entire chapter of only 3 verses) - Blessing to the Lord

Psalm 135:1-4 - call to praise the Lord
vs 5-12 - praises God's sovereignty over creation and the affairs of men
vs 13-14 - praises God's name, fame, judgment and compassion
vs 19-21 - call to bless the Lord

Psalm 136 (entire chapter of 26 verses) - this is the "His mercy endures forever" chapter

Psalm 138 (entire chapter of 8 verses) - praise for God's salvation, strength, protection, and faithfulness

Psalm 139:1-18 - praise to God for His involvement in creation, omnipotence and omnipresence

Psalm 140:12-13 - confidence in God and praise

Psalm 141:21 - prayer and praise as incense and sacrifice

Psalm 142:7 - praise as a result of deliverance

Psalm 143:5-6 - remembering and meditating on God & seeking/desiring Him

Psalm 144:1-2 - praise to God for instruction in war and being deliverer and refuge
vs 9-10 - song and instrumental praise to God, Deliverer

Psalm 145 (entire chapter of 21 verses) - various praises

Psalm 146 (entire chapter of 10 verses) - all praise, but verses 5-9 kind of list some of the virtues of God as praise. IE "The Lord gives freedom to the prisoners" from vs 7

Psalm 147 (entire chapter of 20 verses) - Calls to praise interspersed in listings of the virtues and works of God

Psalm 148 (entire chapter of 14 verses) - whole chapter a call on both people and the rest of creation to praise God

Psalm 149 (entire chapter of 9 verses) - another chapter that is a call to praise, not addressing all of creation, but specifically God's people

Psalm 150 (entire chapter of 6 verses) - entire chapter a call to praise, emphasis on praise with instruments.

That's all for the latter half of the psalms, folks.
God bless.
RustyJam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: long time... Reply with quote

I know what you mean by long time. I wish I was as patient as God. I get impatient when He seems to tary (His timing is perfect of course). Good things do happen when we are diligent and patient. God gave me a series of "visions"/"mental pictures" on the 23 Psalm, I had to wait over 9 months for the last one. All interested can see them at http://wordship.org/Eyes_Closed.html Sorry 'bout the rest of the site, it's under construction and I'm spread thin and moving slow...
Anyway, I applaud your perseverance Meg and appreciate very much the work you have done, judging from the number of views many people have been blessed and I'm sure many will be blessed in the future.

To God be the glory!
Rusty
RustyJam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Psalms 1-77 Reply with quote

Denna was initially doing this portion but I've not been able to contact her with personal messages and have not seen anything from her yet, so in the interest of completing the Psalms portion of the project I have taken up the torch myself. Denna, I hope all is well with you and hope to hear from you soon. I also pray that you not take offense if I seem impatient: I've dropped projects before completion too many times in my life and wish to see this one through. If you have done some, most, or all of your assignment I would be very interested in “merging” it with the verses I've pulled.
The way that I've felt led by the Lord is to pull verses that speak of His character, and His works. I know many people say we shouldn't praise God because of what He does for us, but for who He is. Read Psalms and you will find plenty (if not most) of the psalms praising God for what he has done for us. How would we know “who He is” if not by His actions? If God would treat us unfavorably would we still want to praise Him? I agree we should praise Him for who He is, but 'who He is' is only evident by what he does. We sin because we are sinners, we are not sinners because we sin. God is Love and because of this He shows His love in many powerful and beautiful ways.
I have ignored most of the passages where the psalmist is exhorting others to praise, or where he is making supplications; sometimes I have made exceptions. Normally a supplication is like this... "God please do such an such for me". I am looking for phrases to worship God with, not someone asking God for help. However, some supplications can easily be changed to praise... For instance:

Psalms:43:3: O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles.

I can use this in worship.... "Lord Your light and Your truth they lead me"

Exactly when I make an exception is unexplainable, part of it is "this is too good to leave out!" but there is something else (the Holy Spirit?) that causes me to make exceptions which I can't explain.

I am not seeking to defend my choices, only to explain them.

Another typically excluded verse would be where the psalmist says what he is going to do, or what he has done. Example:

Psalms:61:8: So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows.

I might still pull this verse and use it for praise like this: "I sing praise to Your name forever, as you allow me my daily vows".

My choices are not completely consistent, so don't be confused if I make an exception for one and then don't on another that may seem more worthy for praise usage.

Another situation worth mention is that many times only a small portion of the verse is usable for praise. An example:

Psalms:10:14: Thou hast seen it; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless.

I might only use something like this: "You are a helper of the fatherless".

Meg went took a great deal of time to add descriptions of what each verse is about. I wish I had the time to do the same as it is a great help. Unfortunately I don't feel like I have the time yet and don't want to delay this post any longer. Anyone desiring to repost this (with additions of their own) and add descriptions is more than welcome.

May this work bless you,
Rusty

Psalm 1:6

Psalm 2:4-6
Psalm 2:8
Psalm 2:12

Psalm 3:3-5
Psalm 3:7-8

Psalm 4:1
Psalm 4:3
Psalm 4:7-8

Psalm 5:4-7
Psalm 5:12

Psalm 6:8-10

Psalm 7:1
Psalm 7:9-11
Psalm 7:17

Psalm 8:1-3
Psalm 8:9

Psalm 9:2
Psalm 9:4-14
Psalm 9:16

Psalm 10:14
Psalm 10:16-18

Psalm 11:1
Psalm 11:4-7

Psalm 12:5-7

Psalm 13:5-6

Psalm 14:5-7

Psalm 16:1-11 (Complete)

Psalm 17:2
Psalm 17:4
Psalm 17:6-8
Psalm 17:13
Psalm 17:15

Psalm 18:1-3
Psalm 18:6-19
Psalm 18:25-36
Psalm 18:39-40
Psalm 18:43
Psalm 18:46-50

Psalm 19:1
Psalm 19:7-10

Psalm 20:6-7

Psalm 21:8-9
Psalm 21:13

Psalm 22:3-5
Psalm 22:9-10
Psalm 22:22-24
Psalm 22:27-29
Psalm 22:31

Psalm 23:1-6 (Complete)

Psalm 24:1-2
Psalm 24:7-10

Psalm 25:1-3
Psalm 25:5-6
Psalm 25:8-10
Psalm 25:14-15
Psalm 25:20-21

Psalm 26:3
Psalm 26:7-8

Psalm 27:1-2
Psalm 27:4-6
Psalm 27:9-10

Psalm 28:6-8

Psalm 29:1-11 (Complete)

Psalm 30:1-5
Psalm 30:7
Psalm 30:11-12

Psalm 31:3-5
Psalm 31:8
Psalm 31:14-16
Psalm 31:19-21
Psalm 31:23

Psalm 32:5
Psalm 32:7-8
Psalm 32:10

Psalm 33:1
Psalm 33:4-7
Psalm 33:9-15
Psalm 33:18-22

Psalm 34:4-10
Psalm 34:15-19
Psalm 34:21-22

Psalm 35:9-10
Psalm 35:28

Psalm 36:5-9

Psalm 37:4-6
Psalm 37:9-11
Psalm 37:13-15
Psalm 37:17
Psalm 37:19
Psalm 37:20
Psalm 37:22-25
Psalm 37:28-29
Psalm 37:33-34
Psalm 37:39-40

Psalm 38:15
Psalm 38:22

Psalm 39:7
Psalm 39:11

Psalm 40:1-3
Psalm 40:5
Psalm 40:8
Psalm 40:11
Psalm 40:16-17

Psalm 41:1-3
Psalm 41:11-13

Psalm 42:5
Psalm 42:7-8
Psalm 42:11

Psalm 43:3-5

Psalm 44:2-5
Psalm 44:7-8
Psalm 44:21

Psalm 45:6-7? (King?)

Psalm 46:1
Psalm 46:6-11

Psalm 47:1-9 (Complete)

Psalm 48:1
Psalm 48:3
Psalm 48:9
Psalm 48:10
Psalm 48:11
Psalm 48:14

Psalm 49:15

Psalm 50:1-4
Psalm 50:6
Psalm 50:10-12
Psalm 50:15
Psalm 50:23

Psalm 51:4
Psalm 51:6-7

Psalm 52:1
Psalm 52:5
Psalm 52:8-9

Psalm 54:4-7

Psalm 55:16-18
Psalm 55:22-23

Psalm 56:8-11
Psalm 56:13

Psalm 57:1-3
Psalm 57:5
Psalm 57:10

Psalm 58:11

Psalm 59:9-10
Psalm 59:13
Psalm 59:16-17

Psalm 60:12

Psalm 61:2-3
Psalm 61:5
Psalm 61:8

Psalm 62:1-2
Psalm 62:5-8
Psalm 62:11-12

Psalm 63:1
Psalm 63:3
Psalm 63:7-8

Psalm 64:7
Psalm 64:9-10

Psalm 65:1-13 (complete)

Psalm 66:1-10
Psalm 66:12
Psalm 66:18-20

Psalm 67:4
Psalm 67:6-7

Psalm 68:4-10
Psalm 68:17-22
Psalm 68:26
Psalm 68:33-35

Psalm 69:5
Psalm 69:13
Psalm 69:33-36

Psalm 71:1
Psalm 71:3
Psalm 71:5-7
Psalm 71:17
Psalm 71:19-20
Psalm 71:22-23

Psalm 72:18-19

Psalm 73:1
Psalm 73:18
Psalm 73:20
Psalm 73:23-28

Psalm 74:2
Psalm 74:12-17

Psalm 75:1-3
Psalm 75:7
Psalm 75:10

Psalm 76:1-12 (complete)

Psalm 77:1
Psalm 77:13-15
Psalm 77:18-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PursuingLife.com Forum Index -> General Bible Memory Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: