Pursuing Life Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Praise Medley
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PursuingLife.com Forum Index -> General Bible Memory Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustyJam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Praise Medley Reply with quote

The Lord started birthing the idea of a Praise Medley in me quite a while back. As we mature in the Lord we see how His hand works in our life, and one thing I’ve noticed is how He will give us pieces along the way until He finally shows us the whole picture which in turn is a piece to another picture. Memorizing scripture is powerful, very powerful, and He has giving me the desire to memorize scripture to praise Him.
I’ve often times been embarrassed that my praise to Him consists of “Praise you Lord, thank you Lord, Praise Your Name, Thank you Jesus” etc. etc. My heart is in the right place, but the goods I’m delivering are old and stale. I can’t give Him what He deserves, but I can give Him better than I currently do.

The Lord seems to be taking me in two different on this:

1) Finding already existing praise medleys (Exodus ch. 15 for example)
2) Pulling together scriptures from various areas to form new praise medleys

All interested are encouraged to be a part of this…
prayn4u

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Praise medley Reply with quote

Rusty,
I know exactly what you are saying. Last evening, as I prayed, I just confessed to the Lord that my words weren't big enough, my thoughts are not even big enough. I am praying that this project will be a blessing to all involved.

"I will praise you, O LORD, with my whole heart, I will tell of all your marvelous grace. I will be glad and rejoice in you, I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High."

Just let me know how you want to go about this, and I will be delighted to be a part.

Oh, and thanks for mentioning Ex. 15 - I am going to check it out as soon as I get home this evening.

Denna
RustyJam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Denna,

Let me throw some stuff out there. I've been going over this 'Praise Medley' thing in my head for a while and there are a lot of issues/factors to consider. First of all what's the purpose? As with most things it will mean different things to different people. To me the purpose is this:

Bless God by worshiping Him with His own word.

Sounds good, but I have run into a few problems....
Lets say I read this:

Ex 15:2 "The LORD is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation; This is my God, and I will praise Him; My father's God, and I will extol Him. NASB

...and I want to praise/worship God with this verse. But the verse sounds like someone telling someone else about the Lord, it doesn't fit into the frame of mind I want, which is me praising/worshiping/blessing God. I would want to say something like this:

Lord, you are my strength, and song. You are my salvation. You are my God and I praise You. My father's God and I extol You.

A decision has to be made, are we going to stick with scripture proper, or are we going to use scripture as inspiration to form our medley(s). Obviously we are on shaky ground if we intentionally disrupt the word of God (Rev 22:18-19). However, if we limit ourselves to scripture proper it doesn't seem as personal It's like when we sing a song at church that says something like this:

I will praise you Lord
I will lift you up
etc. etc.

When? When will you praise the Lord? All you're doing is stating you WILL praise Him, you're not actually praising Him. This may seem like splitting hairs to some, but when I praise and worship the Lord I'm talking to Him, not talking about Him, not talking about what I'm going to do; I'm talking to Him telling Him how awesome, how majestic, how wonderful, how merciful He is!!!

Also, along the same lines... Exodus 15 is a wonderful praise medley already, but I might like take a few things out ... like verses 4, 5,9,10 etc. This is very concerning for me as I don't want to show disrespect to the word, but I also don't feel right praising God for killing someone. I understand that they deserved it, and that growing up and getting off the milk and on to the meat requires appreciation/understanding of some cold hard facts, but I have a problem with these verses being part of a praise medley... I also have a problem with taking them out... HELP!!!

Maybe the answers to these questions are a personal matter.. maybe we just organize some topical type list of praise scriptures and let each person decide how they want to incorporate them in their own way.
Anyway, I've already yakked way too much. I look forward to any comments on the above concerns as well suggestions for how we should proceed.

In Him,
Rusty
Meg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: thoughts Reply with quote

Hi, Rusty and everyone!
Glad to be here!

I was thinking and wondering the same things as you, Rusty, and here are my thoughts-

There are some passages, I'm sure, that already address God directly and sound personal, but I'm leaning toward personalizing praise passages that aren't, like you were describing. In that case, it wouldn't be accurate to call it "memorized scripture", but when we use our "praise medley" we will know "this part is from Psalm XX: XX" I think there's nothing wrong with personalizing scripture as long as it is still true. Isn't that what we're supposed to do?

I thought about the same thing as far as verses that don't fit that well in already existing praise medleys, maybe because they were specific to an event happening in the Bible (but not happening to us). Although I wouldn't pull verses out here and there if I were "memorizing" a passage, for the purpose of this praise medley, I would.

I'm not advocating we try to write our own version of scripture here, which would be wrong. I see it that we are trying to inject our praise with the same truth and beauty found in praise in the Bible.

I understand this may not be what others on this project expected. Matter of fact, it's not what I expected first myself. If it's decided to stick with straight memorization and we want to find passages that already work as they are, I completely submit to that. I know they are in there and we can find them! I defer to the group.

I hope to hear from everyone else on this matter, because I think it's pretty obviously the first that needs to be decided on.
Denna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: praise medley Reply with quote

Hi, Ya'll (Hey, I was born in Tennesee - it comes naturally to me!)

I have been thinking about many of the same questions, and would like to pray about it before I say too much. However, my first inclination is to use the applicable parts of scripture, and then perhaps a personal parenthetical phrase - however, I am not sure how that would work. While I have no problems with personalizing scripture, I just do not want unblievers or younger cristians to misunderstand what is being done.

I am having a lot of computer trouble at home today, so probably will not mail until tomorrow, and hope I can get it through then (this is the second try today). I did want to let you know that I am keeping all this in mind and prayer.

Denna
RustyJam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself agreeing with Meg on everything she said...
Still waiting for Denna to weigh in completely (hope your computer problems get straightened out).

Here's an example of what might typically be formed by using scriptures as inspiration (much like a Christian song):

These are from the Psalms (the reference is the scripture that "inspired" the line)

You, O LORD, are a shield around me
You, are my glory and the one who lifts my head 3:3
You and only you sustain me. 3:5
You shatter the teeth of the wicked 3:7
and You are my salvation 3:8

I praise you the God of my righteousness 4:1
You are the gladness in my heart 4:7
Lord, you alone, cause me to dwell in safety 4:8

You are my King and my God 5:2
Your love and mercy are abundant 5:7
I take refuge in You for it is You 5:11
who blesses me and You who surround me with favor
as with a shield 5:12

This was thrown together fairly quickly and doesn't represent the level I would like to go, however, it is sufficient for an example. I think this would be one path; the construction of Praise Medleys USING SCRIPTURE AS INSPIRATION. I think that compiling a list of scriptures for exact memorization is also a good path. Doing that, and having the scripture proper in our hearts/minds would enable us to personalize on the fly. Once we establish a clear direction we can split up responsibilities.
Perhaps we have something like this.

A topical list of praise scriptures to draw from consisting of two groups.
1) Already existing passages consisting of consecutive verses.
2) Verses that are not consecutive

From which we can draw on for:

1) Exact memorization
2) Constructing Medleys that are "inspired" from scripture

In Him,
Rusty
Denna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Rusty!

I am going to try this again! I sent a message this morning, but somehow it never showed up on the post, so hopefully this one will go through (What in the world is going on with my computer?).

I like the idea best of using the exact scripture, and allow for Spirit led personalization; however, either way you decide will be wonderful! Just let me know what you would like me to do, and I will do whatever you say from this end of things.

In the meantime, please see your email - I have sent you a new address that I am hoping will get through more reliably. Take care of yourself, know I am praying for you, and let me know how I can help!

prayn4u,

Denna

Proverbs 16:1 - "The preparations of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD."
Lavern
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denna,

I would be pleased to see you register here. Currently, you show up as a guest.

Thank you!
Denna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to Lavern Reply with quote

Hi, Lavern!

It looks as if this is going through o.k., and that I am registered. I have been having major computer trouble, and could not be sure anything went through of late.

As for the scripture songs you are looking for, I ran up on a source that offers the performed songs and sheet music awhile back. I have one of the books at home, but have not remembered to check who put them out yet. I will try to do that this weekend.

Thanks for the invitation!

Denna

I Timoty 1:17 - "Now to the King eternal, immoratl, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen."
Waudenna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying this again - am I part of the family, or still a guest?
Denna
Psalm 34:1 - "I will bless the Lord at all time; His praise shall continually be in my mouth."
Meg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: I'm here! Reply with quote

Hello, all,
Sorry I have been away for a few days. House is undergoing some reconstuction and I have been painting and trying to put things back together for almost the entire past week.
I am ready for an assignment on whatever has been decided. I do like the idea of memorizing scripture and having it personalized also. as appropriate.
I guess our next step will be getting assignments and selecting scriptures.
Just let me know.
RustyJam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright!!!
Let the talkin’ stop and the doin’ begin. This will be fun, Denna takes the first 77 Psalms, Meg takes the last 73… This appears to be about as even a split as I can figure without taking unnecessary time to count letters/words.
Pray first then start going through it recording the verses that are praise to God. If you guys want, after you’re done you can swap and see if there are any you want to add. I will be finding all songs and similar existing medley type passages in the rest of the Bible.

This will give us a good strong start. It will also give us enough stuff to keep us busy memorizing for a while.

Only record references at first. We can then use them regardless of translation.
I have an idea on how to extract them automatically driven by a list/file.

So either write them down or mark them or whatever, but eventually I would like them typed like this:

(since initially these will all be from Psalms you don’t have to keep writing “Psalms” down)

3:5
4:2-5
10:1,3,5

I probably don’t need to mention it but … 23:1-3 is different from 23:1,3

You guys can either email me the list or email me an attachment. After it’s cleaned up and prepared we will post it. Meg has a site, she might be interested in posting it, and of course if Lavern is willing it could be posted here, or both.

I was thinking a fun way to do it would be to take turns and add a verse each from our list to make a team medley. Once the list is posted anyone that wants can make their own medley.

In Him,
Rusty

Psalms:150:1-2 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
Lavern
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do feel free to post the medley here. I am too busy to commit to helping with this right now, but I hope this will be a blessing to all involved.
Waudenna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. Rusty,

I will begin in the morning. I am looking forward to this! I read in the Psalms every day, and I think this change will have me seeing them in a new way.

Denna
Meg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Exciting! Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm so glad to get started on this!
Thank you for the assignment.
I will post the list on my site too, at the projects page. Just changed my site a bit too. The info's in my profile, but you can see it at www.slave2righteousness.com. Lavern, I mention your site a few times at mine and hope people will see my site and then come here for more resources and to get connected. (I don't have any discussion forums or cool stuff like that.)
I will get started on my assignment this weekend, though in a couple of hours I am going to be taking a mid-term here at school. I really should go look at my notes now.
God bless you, bros!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PursuingLife.com Forum Index -> General Bible Memory Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: