Pursuing Life Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tell Us How You Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PursuingLife.com Forum Index -> Reviewing Memorized Passages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavern
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Tell Us How You Review Reply with quote

I have found that review is a very important part of Bible memorization. Wiithout review, you will lose all or much of what you memorize.

Let's get a discussion going about reviewing memorized passages.

How much do you review?
Do you get together with someone else or a group of interested people?
Is it possible to review a passage enough that you can stop reviewing and still retain it for the rest of your life?
Meg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: How I review Reply with quote

I recently found a way to review that really works for me-
I have recorded my memorized passages onto cassette, each one three times in a row with it's reference. I listen to the tape and say the passages along with the tape for review.
Like I said, I just started this, but just recording the passages and making sure my recording was good jump-started my review. I have to record more to fill up my 90 minute tape so I can just play it continuously. Then I think I'll just review the entire tape once a week (not all at once). I really think it's going to work out for me.
I know a lot of people are visual learners, so a system like Memlok is good for them, but I think I learn best by sound.
-Meg
Lavern
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good idea.

I recently purchased a microphone for my computer, so I could record the verses I am memorizing. It is really easy to click record, read the verse, then click stop. My software saves the clip as an MP3 file, then I can play it in Windows Media Player. I have finally found a way to get an audio Bible with 2 verses per track!

Another advantage in this is that you can read it at a speed you are comfortable with and you can add emphasis where you want it to help you memorize the verse.
David Baldwin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I struggled with effective review. I'd spend so much time memorizing a passage initially that I'd get, well, bored with it. (A terrible thing to say but unfortunately true.) The last thing I wanted to do was to keep going over the same passages. Let's move on! was my cry. Of course I'd learn the new and forget the old - a poor result indeed! Almost three years ago now I discovered SuperMemo which is a software application that uses the principle of spaced repetitions. Basically, you break each memory project up into small elements (maybe one verse increments or even smaller), plug it into SuperMemo and let it test you on a daily bases. As you prove proficient at some passages and (cough) not so proficient at others, future repetitions are calculated accordingly.

I'm the first to admit that SuperMemo is not for everyone. I'm a pretty geeky guy (actually a computer professional) and it took me 300-400 hours to feel like I had a handle on the program. But personally, it's been well worth the effort for now I can remember all the Scripture I've entered in SuperMemo with 95% accuracy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lavern
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I am really interested in learning more about SuperMemo and possibly getting it for myself. Some time ago, I watched a presentation online that showed how some one uses SuperMemo for Bible memory. Was that you? Is it still available online?

Right now, I am really struggling with parts of Romans that I had "memorized." I look forward to discovering new methods of retaining what took hours to learn.
David Baldwin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did put together a Supermemo presentation. You can scroll down this page at Word2Life to view.

I put it together rather quickly (4 hrs late one night with little scripting) so it's a bit rough. Also the way I use SM (Supermemo) has matured since the time I created that presentation. I used to use it only as a review tool but not for initial memory work. I now use SM as an end-to-end tool for all things Scripture memory. I actually don't bother with index cards any more, I plug everything into SM from the beginning and break passages up into pieces. Let me give you an example:

Quote:
Proverbs 11:11
Through the blessing of the upright a city is exalted,
but by the mouth of the wicked it is destroyed.

I'll break the above verse up into a dozen different pieces within SM. Some of which are large:

Quote:
Q: Fill in the blank -
[...]

A: Through the blessing of the upright a city is exalted,

And some of which are quite small:
Quote:
Q: Fill in the blank -
Through the blessing of the upright a [...]is exalted,

A: city

Basically I try to anticipate any area large or small where I might have recall difficulty and enter those areas into SM.

I made the mistake early on in my work with SM of entering large passages for review. For instance after memorizing Proverbs 8, I stuck the whole thing in SM as one element (I should have broken it up into literally hundreds of sections). Over time I'd become shaky on one little part of the chapter and would miss a word or two. I'd have to give myself a failing grade and would thus be scheduled to review the whole chapter instead of just the little section I missed. Very inefficient!

Anyway, I've found SM to be a wonderful tool for Scripture memory and recommend it for any one with enough 'computer geek tendencies' to work through the significant learning curve to use it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lavern
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your information. Hopefully, someday I can get SuperMemo and try it out! Smile It sounds like a real asset to Scripture review.
Martin559

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: 66 chapter Monthly Review on MP3 Audio solid state player. Reply with quote

Someone on this forum said "I'd love to find a comprehensive plan somewhere that would allow you to memorize long passages at a time, and also provide a broad overview of the Bible"Well heres one with mp3 audio Backup for reviews.
I learned scripture by each morning writing a verse on a 3 by 5 card and referring to it many times a day.I followed the calendar and Studied Verse 1 on jan1 Verse 2 on Jan. 2, etc.
I designed a custom 66 chapters of the Bible that I think are easiest to learn and most often quoted in church.Some 1,500 Verses.This would take 4 yrs and 3 months to learn at this rate.(Its important to not push youre capabilities more than 1 verse a day to avoid burnout.)
Then I saved the audio mp3 files of these 66 chapters from Steve Lapps and Vernon Johnsons narrations was from www.Firefighters.org and downloaded them onto a small solid state mp3 player from Staples or ebay.If i listen to 2 chapters a day I can cover this whole 66 chapters every month.If you start getting forgetful at work, etc. skip the program for a month or 2.You need a brake.Listen while driving or doing something learning scripture should be effortless and subliminal.
Wordinheart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Review Reply with quote

Its neat to hear all these tech savvy ideas. Usually, after I finish my initial memorizing, I'll recite the whole section for 100 days, straight. Or attempt to, anyway. Learning is definitely more fun that review, so it's harder to be diligent. Then I pick a day of the week or month, and recite it on that day every week or month forever. I also plan a few week- long vacations a year, so I don't get truly burned out. My usual problem is just laziness!

Of course, I seem to make little mistakes over time (which is a big deal in scripture, you can loose the whole meaning!) And without another person to hold a bible while I recite and check me, its a little stressful, because once you start practicing something wrong, its easy to keep doing it out of habit.

So I may check these computer programs out.
Maybe i can find a way to type my recitations down, and then match it against a section of the bible I've copied and pasted from online. Does anyone know how to do something like that? or something similar?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PursuingLife.com Forum Index -> Reviewing Memorized Passages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: